Typically, Black Forest gateau consists of several layers of chocolate cake, with whipped cream and cherries between each layer. Then the cake is decorated with additional whipped cream, maraschino cherries, and chocolate shavings. In some European traditions sour cherries are used both between the layers and for decorating the top.
Traditionally, Kirschwasser is added to the cake, although other liquors are also used (rum is common in Austrian recipes).
In the USA, Black Forest gateau is most often prepared without alcohol. In Germany, however, only the traditional recipes with Kirschwasser are widespread, and other variants are very rare. [Wikipedia]
Pinktober's Black Forest Cake
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups water
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups whipping cream or heavy cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons Kirsch
2 cups cherry pie filling
12 maraschino cherries, with stem
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour 2 9-inch round baking pans
- In large bowl, stir together flours, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt
- Add water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla, beating with wire whisk just until batter is smooth and ingredients are well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes and turn out onto cooling racks.
- Let sit, uncovered, 24 hours.
- Beat the cream with the confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Brush tops of the cakes with the Kirsch.
- Place one cake layer on a cake plate and spread with 1/2 the cherry filling.
- Top with about 3/4 cup of the whipped cream.
- Top with the second cake layer.
- Spread the side of the cake with half of the remaining whipped cream.
- Spoon remaining pie filling on top of cake, keeping it in the center.
- Spoon or pipe remaining cream around the cherries.
- Sprinkle the whipped cream around sides with chocolate shot.
- Top the whipped cream ring with the maraschino cherries.
Curried Paneer Meatloaf Recipe
1 1/3 c TVP granules
1 cup hot chicken or beef stock
¼ lb ground beef
1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
¼ cup potato flakes
3 tbsp curry paste
1 tbsp plum sauce
1 tbsp minced onion
½ teaspoon pepper
2 tbsp plum sauce
1 tsp hot curry powder
- Rehydrate TVP in stock about 10 minutes.
- Mix with remaining ingredients (except 2 tbsp plum sauce and hot curry powder) lightly till well blended.
- Press lightly into an 8 x 8” microwaveable pan.
- Cover with waxed paper, microwave on HI for 13 minutes.
- Turning dish once during cooking, if you have no turntable.
- Drain fat, if needed.
- Spread with curried plum sauce, cook uncovered on high 2 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 6.1 g
Cholesterol: 51.8 mg
Sodium: 404.3 mg
Total Carbs: 13.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.8 g
Protein: 21.5 g