Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Mushy Nanners... Mushy Mushy Nanners!

Who doesn't love a good banana split when the summer sun's shining onto a nice warm patio at your local ice-cream shop? The sweet creaminess of the ice-cream (French Vanilla or Chocolate Peanut Butter, please!) with the similarly sweet creaminess of the ripe banana is perfect when topped with a cherry and drizzled with fudge sauce. Forget the whipped cream, though. I hate that stuff. Cool Whip, I like, but only frozen (yeah, I know it's sull of bad-for-you stuff, but it tastes like ice cream! Plus I can't eat the regular, good stuff).

Have I made you hungry yet? Or has the blistering cold of the Northern wind tamed your ice-cream tongue for the year? No matter, I have something that will bring back those summer days for you and your family (and may just sneak off the cookie trays, down to sunnier weather). These are slightly cakey and puffy-looking, but have a great chewiness from the eggs and miniature marshmallows (on a side note, only egg whites are not good in this recipe). It's a great texture for an after-dinner nibble, or for the party trays!

Normally I reserve all my leftover, over-ripe bananas for my famous banana breads, but for these, I'll make an exception.

Chipper Banana-Split Cookies
42 Servings
2/3 c shortening
1/3 c unsalted butter, softened
1/3 c sugar
1/2 c packed dark brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 c flour
1 c whole-wheat flour
2 large bananas, mashed
1 c halved mini marshmallows
1 1/2 c mini bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Cream shortening, butter and sugars.
  3. Add eggs and vanilla.
  4. Combine salt, soda and flours.
  5. Add alternately with mashed bananas to creamed mixture.
  6. Fold in marshmallows and chocolate chips.
  7. Drop by tablespoons on non-stick or lined cookie sheets.
  8. Bake 9-11 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing to wire rack.

Amount Per Serving
Calories: 123.4
Total Fat: 7.1 g
Cholesterol: 12.9 mg
Sodium: 5.9 mg
Total Carbs: 14.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.0 g
Protein: 1.3 g

Can you believe it? I'm back on the cookie-making bandwagon created by Susan of FoodBlogga, and it preaches only one thing this holiday: Eat Christmas Cookies!

2 comments :

  1. nice those cookies sound amazing i need to try some lol great post excellent job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, yeah, you made me hungry. Now, where's my cookies? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!