Creamy Pumpkin Penne
1 onion, chopped fine
1 red bell pepper, chopped fine
1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced into "half moons"
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup white wine (or water)
1/4 cup vegan (or regular) fat-free evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
black pepper + salt
16 oz dry whole-grain penne pasta or brown rice penne pasta
- In a large skillet cook the onion, bell pepper, zucchini and garlic over moderate heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the pumpkin, broth, wine, "evaporated milk", nutmeg, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, in a kettle of boiling salted water, boil the penne until it is al dente (about 9 minutes).
- Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water and drain penne well.
- Add the penne to the sauce and cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring and thinning with reserved water if needed until pasta is well coated.
- Crack pepper over top and serve.
By the way, I think Plan B is going to be mashed potatoes, or soup.