Wednesday, July 16, 2008

More Spice is Rather Nice!

I almost didn't decide to post today, since I didn't actually cook anything today (other than a bowl of kasha for dinner). I spent most of my day on the road back and forth between a Nuclear Imaging scan at the Stouffville hospital (which actually took two trips - one for the prep shot and one for the actual scan) and a delicious sushi lunch with my favourite partners in crime from the Exxon team in North York. Today's group outing was extra special, since it included not only the regulars, but my mom and a special guest visitor from Budapest named Gabriella (hi Gabriella, if you ever read this!). So it was breakfast and lunch on the road, seeing as I slept in (damn those necessary evils that are sleeping pills!) and grabbed a bowl of cereal to eat in the car!

Aaanyway, I did make a rather awesome and "rapidfire" lunch yesterday when I had just a little bit more time on my hands. This definitely can be whipped up in about 15 minutes if you have pre-chopped veggies on hand, but I didn't so I took the extra time! It's definitely a spicy, but dry, curry, so either tone down the curry if you know you can't take the heat, or take a large glass of water to the table with you and get in your 8-10 glasses a day! (I opted for the latter option, since for my test prep I had to "keep drinking as much as possible", plus I just plain like spicy!) If you can't find cellophane noodles in your grocery (I found them near the gross Mr. Noodle packets), swap in pre-cooked vermicelli or spaghetti - I did that back in my collegiate days!

This simple, spicy curry is going in as my addition to Ruth's Presto Pasta Nights, which is being hosted by her wonderful self this week (for the next few hosts, check this link). Enjoy your noodle noshes, everyone!

Spicy Yellow Prawn Noodles
Serves 2
4 oz cellophane noodles
1 cup cauliflower, chopped finely
1/4 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1/2 tbsp ginger, grated
6 oz raw, medium shrimp - peeled and de-veined
1 1/2 cups Napa cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup bean sprouts
3 tbsp water
1/2 tbsp curry powder
pinch cinnamon
1/2 tbsp tamari
  1. Soak noodles in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  2. Heat 1/4 cup of water in a deep skillet or wok.
  3. Add cauliflower and cover the pan, steam 2 minutes.
  4. Add onion, garlic and ginger, cook 2-3 minutes longer.
  5. Stir in shrimp and cabbage. Saute until the shrimp are almost cooked through.
  6. Add reserved noodles, bean sprouts, water, curry powder, cinnamon and tamari.
  7. Toss well and continue cooking until shrimp are pink, and everything is coated in curry mixture.
  8. Immediately remove to plates and serve.

Amount Per Serving
Calories: 333.5
Total Fat: 1.9 g
Cholesterol: 129.2 mg
Sodium: 409.5 mg
Total Carbs: 58.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
Protein: 20.9 g

3 comments :

  1. I love the spicy curry dish. Looks awesome and thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good, Sarah :). I've been craving shrimp for the longest time!!

    Hope you're doing well :)

    Sophie from Flour Arrangements

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic! I love noodles of any kind, but these really sound delicious with those veggies and that spicy kick. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!