Sunday, August 31, 2008

I've Decided

I like eggplant. Yay for new veggies! Of course, this means that I get to play some more in the kitchen to find my favourite uses for this nightshade fruit (yup, it's a fruit along with it's fellow tomato and pepper plants). This was just the first of my recipe ideas, and it was perfect for a warm summer day when turning on the oven or stove just is not the idea of fun!

I'm sending this delicious, nutritious pasta and veggie meal off to this week's roundup of Ruth of Once Upon A Feast's event Presto Pasta Nights... crazy early I know, but with school starting on Tuesday I need all the headway I can get! Abby from Eat the Right Stuff is playing host this week, so don't forget to take a look-see on Friday for what else is being served up!

Nuclear Nightshade Pasta
Serves one, easily multiplied
2oz dry whole-wheat rotini (all I could find was leftover p'sketti)
6oz eggplant, cubed (peels on or off, up to you)
black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
3/4 cup diced tomatoes (I used fire-roasted)
1/2 tsp lemon juice
  1. Cook the noodles 5 minutes (it will still be underdone). Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.
  2. Combine eggplant, spices, cooking water and tomatoes in a covered microwaveable dish.
  3. Microwave 3 minutes.
  4. Top with the noodles and re-cover.
  5. Microwave on HI 8 minutes, stirring and uncovering halfway through.
  6. Mix lemon juice in well and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 261.7
Total Fat: 1.3 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 335.1 mg
Total Carbs: 58.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 11.8 g
Protein: 9.2 g

2 comments :

  1. it took me a long time to decide i liked aubergine/eggplant too and now i eat it all the time! thanks for sharing with ppn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure when I started to love eggplants, but it's been a long time. Thanks for adding a new eggplant dish to my repetoire. And thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!