Apparently, I'm not the only baking blogger with this problem - I saw this recipe at My Kitchen in Half Cups and decided to play with it a touch, using what I had at my beck and call in the pantry. I used my starter (made with a mix of whole-wheat and spelt flour) and added Kamut and all-purpose flours to the dough instead of the Durum Tanna called for. I also used a touch of honey instead of malt syrup (since I didn't have any!) and cut the salt in half (damn that nutrition class on the effects of sodium intake!). Everything else is the same, though... I promise!
I had this dough (as well as a batch of pan de sal) in the works while I was working on the fig cookies a couple days ago... we paired it with last night's porchetta meal and it was a hit! The seeds I tossed on top (stuck on with a light brushing of water) are chia seeds, which I've used and talked about before when I made lemon cookies and some muffins a while back. Sesame seeds would be good too!
Thanks, Tanna, for a great idea! I'm sending this off to Susan's YeastSpotting event, so everyone can have a taste!
70g unfed whole-wheat sourdough starter
1/2 cup warm water
165g spelt flour
200g all-purpose flour
80g Kamut flour
2 tsp salt
All pre-ferment (above)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp honey
3/4 tsp dry active yeast
1/2 cup warm water
- Combine pre-ferment ingredients until well-hydrated. Cover and let stand at room temperature two hours - overnight.
- For the dough, whisk together the dry ingredients (except the yeast) in a small bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix pre-ferment, oil, honey, yeast and water. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients until everything is incorporated. Dough should be soft and smooth.
- Place into an oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, until doubled.
- Gently deflate dough and knead briefly.
- Cut in half and shape into two long ropes, curling into "S" shapes. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Re-cover and allow to rise 1 hour longer.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Mist loaves with water and sprinkle with seeds if desired.
- Bake 10 minutes, misting the oven with water every 3.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400F and bake loaves a further 20-25 minutes, until hollow sounding when tapped.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 0.8 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 13.4 mg
Total Carbs: 6.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.1 g
Protein: 0.8 g