You'll be happy to know that I didn't exert myself too much with these puffs of fruity goodness, though. They started with - gasp - a mix. Yes, I used a shortcut. But it wasn't a cake mix, or a muffin mix, and it was a whole grain blend too! The secret ingredient here is the Organic 7 Grain Pancake Mix from Bob's Red Mill, part of the group of goodies I won from the Culinate Whole-Grain Fritter Challenge back in June (with this savvy and savoury recipe!). The grains aren't obtrusive in these muffins and the built-in leavening needed only a tiny boost to deal with the heavier banana ingredient. That said, these are low-fat, low-calorie, the perfect size for lunchboxes... and so tasty! Have two or three on me, without a touch of guilt!
Look at that muffin p0rn!
Sugarless Tropical Mini Muffins
1 cup Bob's Red Mill 7-Grain pancake mix
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp poppy seeds
1 cup fresh orange juice
1 medium over-ripe banana, mashed
1/2 tsp coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease mini-muffin cups.
- Whisk together the pancake mix, baking powder and poppy seeds.
- Combine the juice, banana and coconut extract until well blended, then stir into the dry ingredients.
- Mix can be a little lumpy - do not over-beat.
- Bake 10 minutes, or until tests done.
- Cool 3 minutes in pan before turning out onto a rack and cooling completely.
Total Fat: 0.4 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 59.6 mg
Total Carbs: 8.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.0 g
Protein: 1.2 g
You know what? Oranges being orange, and bananas being yellow, I think I'll ship this on over to this month's Heart of the Matter event chosen by Ilva at Lucullian Delights. The theme is Orange and Yellow... I can't wait to see all the other goodies too!