Sunday, May 10, 2009

Not From a Box!

But from a couple cans and a jar! Come on, you really think I could make spiral buns this flaky and perfect without a little help from the Doughboy? Actually, yea I probably could, but I never would have because a) I'm lazy and b) making these buns was totally and completely serendipitous. After making my delicious and totally awesome cake again (I need to get more Just Like Sugar!), I was left with a partial can of pumpkin puree and no potential use for it! I really didn't want to see it wasted (not to mention that blue fuzzies churn my stomach no matter how nice blue and orange combine) so I called up Andrew with a question: would he like some pumpkin foccacia, or perhaps pizza dough? I didn't want to resort to yet more muffins, especially since nobody around here has that much of a sweet tooth.

We began comparing leftover lists between our houses to see if there was something that filled both our quotas. Well, it turned out that Andrew had a couple tubes of crecent rolls and a partial jar of Nutella that were nearing expiry. My brain immediately sprung to a version of chocolate croissants (hey, I'm a woman, chocolate flows in my veins!) that used Nutella instead, but it was Andrew who mentioned combining the nutty, chocolatey goo with my pumpkin!

They came out of the oven perfectly - soft, flaky and with a great balanced filling to dough ratio (ahem, thank you, thank you). The pumpkin and Nutella combination formed a whole other taste, according to Andrew, not like one ingredient or the other, and he used leftovers (what he didn't eat straight, that is) on toast!

Have a happy Mother's Day to all those celebrating - I'll share my adventures soon!

Nutell - Umpkin Crescents
Makes 16
2/3 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/3 cup Nutella
1 tbsp tapioca starch
2 tubes Pillsbury Crescent roll dough (8 pcs each)
  1. Preheat oven to 375F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
  2. Beat together pumpkin, Nutella and tapioca starch in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  3. Unwrap and separate crescent roll dough into the individual triangles.
  4. Spread each triangle lightly and evenly with the pumpkin mixture, covering the whole surface.
  5. Roll up as per package directions, then curl each rope of filled dough into a spiral shape and place on sheets.
  6. Bake for 13 minutes, then cool 5 minutes on sheets before removing to a rack or eating warm.

Amount Per Serving
Calories: 147.8
Total Fat: 7.9 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 225.1 mg
Total Carbs: 16.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.5 g
Protein: 2.6 g

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback!