Tuesday, August 18, 2009

...Now, What Was I Doing?

I admit, and I'm sure nobody would tell me otherwise, that my mind is a bit of a flake when it comes to staying focused on a certain task. It would explain why it routinely takes me five or six hours to write a single post for this blog, how if you take a look in my fridge you'll find half-finished projects and way too much food (including 6 heads of lettuce - a result from making grocery lists solely from memory), and why any plants that enter our household fear for their vegetal lives. I have good intentions, really, I do, but I tend to get rather sidetracked (think "ooh, shiny!") regardless of what's on the go. Even today, when I had a concrete list of things I absolutely had to do before this evening fell and businesses were closed, I still managed to leave one of the items about 10 minutes too late! But that's what tomorrow is for, right?

The only time being distracted or interrupted during my days that would ever really be a problem is when I'm making something in the kitchen. If it's something that isn't particularly volatile, like a salad or sandwich type of thing, then it's fine, but baking... well, it's a different animal. I haven't burned anything to a complete crisp just yet - the honour of flaming oven mitts still goes to my mom a few years ago as do the charcoal cookies - but I have let bread over-proof and occasionally things like saved, refrigerated cookie dough and fruit have begun learning how to speak (if you catch my drift). That is partially the reason this ice cream came about. Like I mentioned yesterday, home made ice cream can be a lengthy process, but it's generally something that can sit an extra day in the fridge, covered, without much cause for concern.

In fact, this recipe is actually a breeze to put together (the base is not even cooked!) but the add-ins are what take a bit of time. However, the cookie dough freezes well after shaping into the bites - good thing too, because they have to go into the running ice cream maker rock solid. The mixture is a very soft one at any rate, even after churning, due to the high fat content of the coconut milk and cream as well as the addition of alcohol. A stint in the deep freezer, though, solidifies this dessert enough to hold its shape without becoming a brick - and the punch of coconut flavour from 5 different sources is out of this world.

Interrupted Baker Coconut Ice Cream
Serves 8
15 oz unsweetened coconut milk
15 oz sweetened coconut cream (ie. Coco Lopez)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp coconut extract
1/2 tbsp coconut rum (ie. Malibu)
1/2 cup sugar
2 oz baked Double Chip Coconut Drops dough (about 2 cookies, baked in tiny droplet form)
2.5 oz raw Double Chip Coconut Drops dough, frozen (about 1 cookie's worth)
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, coconut cream, vanilla, coconut extract, rum and sugar until blended.
  2. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours.
  3. Freeze according to the ice cream maker's instructions.
  4. When the mixture is almost frozen, pour the baked and raw cookie pieces into the ice cream maker and just blend into the mixture.
  5. Transfer to a lidded container and freeze completely.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 413.2
Total Fat: 35.1 g
Cholesterol: 3.8 mg
Sodium: 23.9 mg
Total Carbs: 26.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.7 g
Protein: 4.0 g

2 comments :

  1. Its really a very interesting ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get taking hours to write a post and making lists from memory. I also buy ingredients but forget why. If I'm buying for a specific recipe I now write that down on my list, but sometimes when I copied the list to a fresh page I forget to add the recipe reference. A few months ago I wondered what the hell I was doing with fennel. I don't like fennel. I went back to the particular book that I thought was the source and couldn't find it.

    Oh, and procrastination, and not realizing how much time things will take.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!