Monday, September 21, 2009

Envy

My mom was in a conference for work a while back, which involved three days of non stop group pow-wows, ranting sessions and international who's whoing with barely a bathroom pause and definitely no chance to sneak out for a lunch break. Given that everyone had chosen to convene in Toronto, it wasn't too much of an issue for my mom as she brings her lunch regularly anyways and eats at her desk, but for the visiting professionals, meals were formulated based on what the office cafeteria decided to schlep up in a cart. Now, I don't mean to put that particular cafeteria's food down in any way, but really - it is a cafeteria, outsourced to the max and serving cling-wrapped, stickered and soggy sandwiches. In my entire memory I can recall eating there once, a pre-packaged lemon poppyseed muffin the size of my head, and to me it was the best thing in the world. But not lunch.

If you've read any of my bread-baking adventures, you know that I am unabashedly the source of the majority of my mom's carbo-loading during the week. I try to keep things interesting at the very least, at least mostly healthy (even the Nutella bread had whole grains and flaxeed!) and of course free of the additives and preservatives every pre-packaged sponge on the shelf is laced with. Luckily my imagination hasn't hindered the stream of loaves, bagels and rolls emerging from the oven, and since there are so many ardent bread-bakers out there to inspire me I doubt I'll struggle soon!

So, my mom was toting slices of this fragrant, sweet and packed-full-of-stuff loaf with her the week of her marathon meetings, and apparently it caused quite a stir with the visiting staff from Brazil, Moncton and Fairfax! In fact, the recipe was requested almost immediately when my mom relinquished a slice for them to taste and one of the gentlemen asked my mom if I shipped my goodies internationally. Well, I don't (namely because I can't afford to, and partially because I doubt that most things hold up well to shipping) but I did spend the afternoon after my mom's call to tell me what he said making up another loaf just for him! I didn't want to brew envious thoughts towards anyone nearby, and really... bread doesn't get much more comforting than this one.

My mom adorned her slices with honey and occasionally a thin smear of peanut butter, though I think the loaf would make a fantastic peanut butter and jelly sandwich too! I wonder if anyone looking at YeastSpotting on WildYeast this Friday will attempt this, and top it with something else??

Hit The Trail [Mix] Bread
Makes 16 "sandwich" slices
5 oz bread flour
4.5 oz whole wheat flour
2 oz spelt bran or oat bran
2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
1/4 tsp salt
1 pkg instant yeast
3/4 cup warm, unsweetened almond milk
1/3 - 1/2 cup water
1 1/2 fl. oz honey
1 tbsp canola oil
3 cups cranberry-based trail mix, large pieces chopped (mine had cranberries, golden raisins, cashews, peanuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds)
  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, bran, flaxseeds, salt and yeast. Set aside.
  2. In a smaller bowl, combine almond milk, water, honey and canola oil.
  3. Pour liquids into the flour and yeast mixture, mixing well.
  4. Add the trail mix and continue mixing until the dough forms a ball that pulls away from the sides of the bowl (a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment makes this easier).
  5. Knead (by hand or mixer) for 12 minutes, until very smooth and supple.
  6. Place into a lightly greased bowl, cover and allow to rest 30 minutes.
  7. Press the rested dough into a rough rectangle and roll up into a log, pinching the seams to seal.
  8. Place in a large greased loaf pan, cover and allow to rise 1 hour, until dough rises 1" above the rim of the pan.
  9. Preheat oven to 350F.
  10. Brush the top of the loaf lightly with water, then place on the centre rack and bake for 35-40 minutes.
  11. Turn bread out of pan immediately and cool on a wire rack completely before slicing.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 259.4
Total Fat: 11.6 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 31.3 mg
Total Carbs: 31.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.5 g
Protein: 8.0 g


9 comments :

  1. Oh man, that looks fantastic! I never thought of adding trail mix too bread, but it's genius! Must try this one. And then I can be the envy of everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great compliment to your baking skills

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so awesome - chewy, moist, crunch ... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ***ENVIOUS SIGH***

    MAN. I need you to move in with us and feed us, kthx.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh this looks so delicious - I want I want I want a slice of this so much but I am sure I wouldn't stop at one

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good! Mmm. Bet it's fabulous toasted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am looking for a bread recipe like this to try out, glad found yours. One question, can i substitute the bread flour with white whole wheat flour? Glad if you could let me know, want to definetly try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria, Elle, Kat, David, Tanita, Johana and Nancy - thank you ALL so much!! You guys all inspire me in so many ways, and I know I can always bounce ideas off you!

    A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine - Good question... if you want to make the substitution you will need to add about a teaspoon of gluten flour to get the same rise. If you don't mind a lower rise you can leave it out without an issue for taste!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!