I know I'm not in any position to complain about the workload this year. I mean, really - I asked for it when I was bored, and thinking about it, we students pay for the privilege of being strung out for eight months of the year! Go figure, right?
Oh well. Christmas is almost here again with all it's baking, buying and sharing - along with a certain event over at FoodBlogga that I must get my butt in gear for! For now, though, I leave you wth a different event entry: A loaf of bread slated for Yeast Spotting! It's incredibly tender thanks to the bananas, honey and milk I mixed in, but not really all that much of a sweet bread until you add the toffee bits! Even with that little touch of decadence a slice is still pretty good for you, with whole wheat, extra bran and oatmeal for fibre and a punch of soy flour for protein. It's a good thing it makes two loaves - my mom can't get enough of it and loves that it keeps her full and her sweet tooth in check.
Bite Of Heaven Bread
Makes about 32 slices, 2 loaves
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup de-fatted soy flour
1 tbsp gluten flour
1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
1/2 cup wheat bran
1/2 tsp salt
2 packets instant yeast
1 cup 1% milk, warmed
1/4 cup honey, warmed
1 tbsp vanilla
3 large bananas, mashed
1 tbsp butter, melted
2/3 cup Skor toffee bits
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together flours, oats, bran, salt and yeast.
- Add the milk and honey, mixing well with the dough hook to moisten the dough.
- Add the vanilla, bananas and butter and mix for 12 minutes, until a very soft dough forms (you won't be able to knead it, it's more of a very thick batter).
- Add the toffee pieces and mix one minute further.
- Scrape into an oiled bowl, cover and allow to rest 30 minutes.
- Stir / punch dough down, then re-cover and allow to rest another 30 minutes.
- Stir / punch dough down again, and divide between two greased loaf pans.
- Cover and allow to rise 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F with the rack in the bottom position.
- Bake loaves for 30 minutes.
- Turn immediately out of pans and cool completely on a rack before slicing.
Total Fat: 2.3 g
Cholesterol: 4.6 mg
Sodium: 51.5 mg
Total Carbs: 15.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5 g
Protein: 2.9 g