Makes 2 loaves, 16 slices each
1 tbsp oregano
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup reserved potato water
1 tbsp instant yeast
4 cups flour
- In a large saucepot, boil potatoes until very soft - about 25 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup water, and return to the pot over very low heat.
- Add cheese, garlic, oregano, sugar, salt, milk and water. Mash until it's a completely smooth, slightly thick liquid.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool slightly, about 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together yeast and flours.
- When the potato mixture had cooled slightly, beat in the eggs, followed by the flour in small batches to form a soft, smooth dough.
- Continue mixing fr 8-10 minutes, until all the flour is incorporated.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let rest 40 minutes.
- Deflate dough, divide in half.
- Roll one half of the dough into a rectangle, spread half the ancho paste overtop.
- Roll dough up as you would for a cinnamon-raisin bread (jelly-roll style) and place in a greased loaf pan. Repeat for remaining dough and filling.
- Cover loaves and allow to rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Bake the loaves for 15 minutes, then cover with foil and bake a further 20 minutes.
- Turn out of pans immediately and cool on wire racks.