"Feed the Neighbourhood" Beans and Rice Stew
3 tbsp chili oil (or canola oil + 1 tsp red pepper flakes)
5 onions, diced
5 large carrots, roughly chopped
1 bunch celery, sliced
4 bell peppers, chopped
8 oz button mushrooms, quartered
1/4 cup smoked paprika
3 tbsp Cajun seasoning
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tbsp black pepper
6 1/2 cups dried mixed beans, soaked overnight
3 bay leaves
4 sprigs thyme
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
Water to cover
5 lbs potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
3/4 cup chili sauce (like Heinz, NOT hot sauce!)
4 cups tomato sauce
1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
2 (19-oz) cans small red Mexican beans, drained
1 (19-oz) can kidney beans, drained
1 cup bulgur wheat
1 cup dry red lentils
3/4 cup wild rice
3 cups brown rice
Salt to taste
- In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring, 10 minutes.
- Add peppers, mushrooms and spices. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated in the spice and mixture is fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
- Add soaked beans, bay leaves, thyme, and bouillon cubes.
- Cover with water to 1" above the mixture, bring to a boil.
- Stir well, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 4 hours, stirring periodically and adding small amounts of water as needed.
- Add remaining ingredients, recover and cook 40-50 minutes longer, until rice is done and mixture is thick (uncover and reduce if desired).
Total Fat: 1.4 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 262.8 mg
Total Carbs: 35.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 7.4 g
Protein: 8.3 g
Total Fat: 1.4 g
Cholesterol: 3.1 mg
Sodium: 16.7 mg
Total Carbs: 18.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 3.4 g