1 large red pepper, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
1 clove garlic, grated
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 tbsp orange zest
6 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup orange juice
1 19 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp saffron threads, crushed
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 19 oz. can chickpeas, drained
1 cup Golden Jewel grains blend (I found this at Bulk Barn - it's a mixture of Israeli couscous, coloured orzo, split garbanzo beans and quinoa - feel free to substitute your favourite mix)
5 oz green beans, chopped
Salt, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high flame.
- Add onion, carrots, pepper and celery. Cook 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, ginger and prange zest, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, orange juice, tomatoes, tomato paste, curry, cumin, saffron, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas, grain blend and green beans, cover and simmer 15 minutes, until beans are tender.
Total Fat: 2.6 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 872.9 mg
Total Carbs: 37.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.8 g
Protein: 6.6 g
The couscous and orzo in my grain blend add two unique pasta shapes, perfect to send into Presto Pasta Nights! It's being hosted this week by Susan who writes The Well-Seasoned Cook.