1 tbsp instant yeast
2 tbsp sugar
2 cups flour
2 cups whole wheat bread flour
1 tbsp gluten flour
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup warmed (1%) milk
1/4 cup tart cherry juice concentrate (like Michelle’s Miracle®)
2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup dried cherries, soaked in hot water and drained
1 tbsp honey (for boiling)
- In a food processor, combine pecan halves, All-Bran bar and ground almonds. Process until pecans and All-Bran bar are ground to a coarse, mealy texture.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast, sugar, flour, whole wheat bread flour and gluten flour, whisking to incorporate everything.
- Add warm water, warm milk and tart cherry juice concentrate and begin mixing on low speed.
- After about a minute, add egg, honey and salt. Continue kneading for 15 minutes, until the dough is very elastic.
- Cover the bowl and allow to rest 45 minutes.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead in the ground nut mixture and dried cherries by hand.
- Re-cover and allow to rest 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with the honey, and preheat the oven to 375F.
- Divide dough into 10 even balls and shape each into a ring.
- Place the bagels, two at a time, into the boiling water for 2 minutes per side.
- Drain well, and place on lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 30 minutes and cool on a rack.
Total Fat: 5.4 g
Cholesterol: 21.9 mg
Sodium: 35.3 mg
Total Carbs: 54.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.0 g
Protein: 9.8 g