2 1/2 cups 12-grain flour
1 1/2 tbsp vital wheat gluten
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
½ tsp salt
1/3 cup warm water
1/3 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup brown sugar
¾ cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup diced dates
1/4 cup hemp hearts (what am I talking about?)
2 tbsp whole flaxseed, lightly crushed
2 tbsp honey
1 egg white
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, whisk together yeast, flours, gluten, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Mix together water, yogurt, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, egg and vanilla, then add all at once to the dry mixture.
- Mix on low speed for 15 minutes, until supple.
- Cover and allow to stand 10 minutes.
- Add dates, hemp hearts and flaxseed and knead in to evenly disperse.
- Cover and allow to rest 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment or foil.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces, about 5.7 oz each (if you're weighing them). Shape each portion into a ring and place on the sheets.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add honey.
- Two at a time, add dough rings to the water and cook 1 minute per side. Drain well and place back on sheets.
- Brush with egg white and bake 20 minutes, one sheet at a time. Cool completely on a rack.
Total Fat: 5.6 g
Cholesterol: 26.7 mg
Sodium: 29.4 mg
Total Carbs: 52.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 9.3 g
Protein: 15.2 g
And don't forget, World Bread Day is coming up soon too! Will I see you in the fray on October 16?