Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Where's the Wheat?

When I bake treats for my classmates at school, I try to be mindful of as many of their diets and allergies as possible – there are several vegans (most of my friends, actually, and some of the coolest people in school IMHO!), as well as a few with celiac disease, wheat allergies (a whole separate animal), nut and dairy allergies and IBS. As with any group, there are also those who are trying to lose weight and boost their whole grain intake (a good idea for anyone!). While the gluten-free options I bring in are admittedly a bit sporadic (I’m working on a more regular rotation, really!), vegan and whole grain items are more or less the general rule with me, and I do try to limit the sugar and fat content in what I share. The quickbreads are always popular, especially since I put the food out when I get in at 9:30AM and many people haven’t had breakfast yet, and even if they don’t eat it right away I can tell they’re a great pick-me-up mid-morning when the tea mugs run dry and the lectures hit a lull.

I made this loaf both for the appetites of my schoolmates and to use up the last of the fresh 5-spice peach pie filling I made last year. I had the dregs of the juice from a few oranges kicking around too, that was really the case of my eyes being too big for my stomach (apparently 3 oranges is too much!). It’s a pretty basic loaf, with applesauce and the pie filling crowding out the need for added oil. While I did use sugar, I drastically reduced it (2 cups in a loaf?? Really?) and it balanced out the spiciness of the ginger and 5-spice nicely. The raw sugar crust on top is totally optional but is a nice contrast to the tender loaf!
It ‘s wheat free, nut free and vegan, but I didn’t drag out my gluten-free arsenal for this one (I’m still not too skilled with GF loaves). If you make this and need gluten-free, I’d love to hear how you modified the mixture and what flours you used!

Wheatless Peach – Oatmeal Loaf
Serves 12
¼ cup ground flaxseed
2/3 cup hot water
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1 tbsp vanilla
2/3 cup + ¼ cup (a heaping ¾ cup) quick-cooking oats
1 cup spelt flour 
2/3 cup oat flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder ¼ tsp salt
2 ½ cups peach pie filling - preferably homemade (see my blog post)
½ tbsp fresh-grated ginger (if not using my recipe)
¼ tsp Chinese 5-spice (if not using my recipe)
1/3 cup diced candied ginger
2 tsp raw sugar, for topping

  1. Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a large loaf pan (at least 9x5" - you may have a muffin's worth of batter left over).
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together flaxseed and hot water, let stand 10 minutes.
  3. Beat in applesauce, sugars, orange juice and vanilla.
  4. Gently stir in oats. Set aside while preparing dry ingredients.
  5. Whisk together flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  6. Stir into the oat mixture just to moisten, then add peach filling, fresh ginger, 5-spice and candied ginger.
  7. Scrape into the prepared pan and level the top.
  8. Sprinkle with raw sugar.
  9. Bake for 50 minutes. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool completely.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 133.8
Total Fat: 1.8 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 64.3 mg
Total Carbs: 29.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.1 g
Protein: 3.5 g


The recipe makes killer muffins too!

1 comment :

  1. I will have to have a go of making this GF soon. At first glance, I would keep the oats and oat flour, but make sure they were certified GF, and I would take the 1 c. spelt and use 1/2 c. sweet rice flour and 1/2 c. sweet sorghum flour, and add in 1 tsp. of xanthan gum. It looks delicious, by the way!

    ~terri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!