Monday, March 24, 2008

Love on a (Micro)plane

What do you do when you have 2 cups of pumpkin puree left over from a batch of Super Squashcakes? Well, no pumpkin pie, brownies or cookies for me (though all are definitely good eating!), I had some other plans up my sleeve for these remnants of gourd! This use-up day of mine resulted in two new-fangled recipes for me, and one of them I'm going to pass on to you today!

If you've read my blog for long, you'll know that I had a fling with biscuit making a few months ago to use up some buttermilk in our fridge. Well, we still have buttermilk in our fridge, but this time I opted for a subtler taste with regular soy milk filling in for it's dairy counterpart. The best part for me about these puffs is that not only are they insanely good at rising (thank you, baking powder!), but they are essentially fat-free, relying on the canned pumpkin for moisture and body. Of course, they also toss in some vitamins and fibre along with a great taste match with the freshly grated ginger. But don't get thinking that these are sweet sugar n' spice balls... no sugar was harmed in the creation of these biscuits!

Which brings me to the latest event on my radar... Tasty Tools! Joelen's Culinary Adventures has created an event celebrating the love of all things gadget-y in the kitchen... Alton Brown would be squirming if Joelen didn't also avoid the dreaded "uni-tasker"... and I'm in Heaven! This month's gadget is the grater or Microplane, and lucky for me, it's exactly what I used for my ginger demolition!

So, without further ado...

Skyscraper Pumpkin Biscuits
Makes 12
1 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick (not instant) oatmeal
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
3/4 cup fat-free soy milk
  1. Preheat oven to 425F, lightly grease 1-2 baking sheets.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients including ginger.
  3. Add pumpkin and using your fingers work it into the flour until fairly incorporated.
  4. Pour in milk and combine to form a soft dough.
  5. Pat out (do not roll, it won't work) on a floured board to about 3/4" thickness.
  6. Cut out circles and place on prepared sheets fairly close together.
  7. Bake 12-15 minutes. Remove from sheets and cool on wire rack.

Amount Per Serving
Calories: 79.0
Total Fat: 0.4 g
Cholesterol: 0.3 mg
Sodium: 90.5 mg
Total Carbs: 16.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5 g
Protein: 3.0 g

2 comments :

  1. Buttermilk is really cheap at my local farm at the moment but I don't know what to do with it.
    I can't make biscuits and I have no idea what to do with this bargain that is sitting just 5 minutes away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No butter, amazing! Great idea to combine pumpkin with the ginger.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!