Sunday, June 17, 2012

Peanut Butter and Honey for Father’s Day Breakfast (A #SundaySupper Post)

Happy Father's Day, everyone!

When I think of my dad, I think of a few things - his goofy sense of humour, his love for Tinkerbell (which I've canonized on my leg in tattoo form), his amazing ability to make box-mix pancakes taste out of this world good, his trailer potatoes "with the spice rack" that he'd foil grill on the Coleman every summer, and his favourite breakfast/snack/anytime food: peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Ideally, he'd opt for sliced bananas on top of the gooey PB and honey combo, and the bread could be white, whole wheat, toasted or not - it was all about the sweet/salty/gooey concoction, not the mere vessel for it's journey into the mouth.

That said, in my own idealization of the dish (I guess you could call it that, although a recipe for it would be rediculous to write down), I'd pick a nice simple whole wheat slice, Kraft "Light Smooth" peanut butter (I grew up with it and hate the taste of "regular", and really hate the texture of any "chunky" PB), and either a local buckwheat or a rich Manuka honey. Bananas for me are in general too sweet (I am the kind of person who eats them mostly green with just a trace of yellow), and the texture of them along with the "too-runny" consistency of peanut butter on hot toast weirds me out. Oh, and the open face combo trumps a top "crust", IMHO.


Sheesh, I thought I wasn't too picky about my PB & H, but apparently I'm wrong! If you'd like to see more of the incredibly delicious offerings for the Father's Day #SundaySupper you can take a look at the links below, hop over to my live feed of #SundaySupper tweets or search #SundaySupper on Twitter (PS, I'm on there too!).

Father’s Day Brunch:
Dad’s Favorite Soup, Salads and Bread:
Father’s Day Favorite Main Dishes:
Dad’s Sweet Tooth:
Wine Pairings for Father’s Day ENOFYLZ

18 comments :

  1. Simple recipe and a tasty treat! Classic combination of PB & Honey - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it strange how we grow up with one thing and we never stray from it?

    Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The simplest recipes are often the best. I enjoyed your post.

    Alaiyo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! I loved eating this when I was a kid too!!
    I love that you still enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PB & H is perfectly legit! My dad loved stranger things for breakfast, like a good, stinky cheese topped w/ plum butter for example. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried this combination, but think it might be making an appearance in the lunchbox this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are picky! Just like me! When you know what you like, that's what you like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the classic combo :)Simple and tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peanut Butter & Honey sounds pretty cool! I'd have it! In fact I may try it now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this recipe and love the photography... especially the Honey! Thank you for sharing during #Sundaysupper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. peanut butter and honey is my FAVORITE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This just gave me an idea for lunch boxes tomorrow as I forgot I was out of lunch meat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simple but so yummy! I used to make sandwiches of pb, honey and banana all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never had PB&H, but I love all the ingredients so I think I will be giving it a try. Peanut butter toast is a go to breakfast for me, next time I will drizzle some honey on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My girls love peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Audrey needs the bread toasted and enough honey to soak the bread. We try not to have them too often!

    ReplyDelete
  16. TBH I don't know if I've had honey with peanut butter. I love that honey shot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great combo, pb and honey rocks. I love the tink story. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah ! Whats not to love about PB & Honey ! Such a classic combo ! Yumm !!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!