Things like the perfect song coming onto the radio or my computer's playlist at the right time really go a long way to making my day - I'm a musically oriented person through and through, and I always need some sort of auditory stimulus in order to focus on anything! To my mom, it seems counterintuitive to have something "distracting" going on in the background while I'm trying to concentrate, but it's always been like that with me, and often when I have a host of great songs with the right rhythm and beat playing away seemingly amazing results occur.
Luscious Lemon Buns
3/4 cup warm, fat free soy milk, divided
3 tbsp sugar, divided
1 tbsp dry active yeast
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
grated zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon extract
1 egg + 1 egg yolk (reserve white for brushing tops)
1/4 cup margarine, cut into pieces and softened
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together ¼ cup soy milk, sugar and the yeast. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk together flours and salt. Set aside.
- Add the remaining soy milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and lemon extract to the proofed yeast, stirring well.
- Add all the flour and, with the dough hook on low speed, begin combining.
- Once the flour has begun to incorporate, add the egg and egg yolk, then the margarine one piece at a time.
- Knead until all the ingredients are cohesive and dough is elastic, about 8-9 minutes.
- Place into an oiled bowl, cover and let rest 1 hour, until doubled.
- Punch down and divide into 10 even balls, placing onto a greased or lined baking sheet.
- Cover and allow to rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Brush the reserved egg white over the tops of the buns.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until glossy and hollow-sounding when tapped.
Total Fat: 6.3 g
Cholesterol: 42.5 mg
Sodium: 76.9 mg
Total Carbs: 38.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
Protein: 7.6 g