Sunday, July 22, 2012

Butterscotch - Bacon Apple Cookies for #SundaySupper

The best part of being a food blogger is the sense of community and friendship that develops with other like minded writers. Thanks to things like Twitter and Facebook, the ability to connect with each other increases every day, and I'm at no loss for inspiration, a quick answer or even a shoulder to cry on most days. I've been part of Twitter chats, photo events, contests and competitions and of course blogging events over the years and I've even been lucky enough to have met a few fellow bloggers in person.

While I haven't met Carla (Chocolate Moosey), Jen (Juanita's Cucina) or Isabel (Family Foodie) in person, I consider them friends and am grateful that I can share stories with them and the rest of the #SundaySupper community every week. I've drooled (figuratively) over their recipes and often wished I had more people to cook for (and more money) so that I could make everything I've laid my eyes on! Clearly I've been stalking Carla's page these days, given my obsession with her strawberry curd (I still have one thing to show you how to use it for!) but the other day I re-read one of her #SundaySupper posts and knew I had to make a version of it.

I'm a fan of the daytime show The Chew, and when I started making the cookies I figured since there was already bacon, booze and butter in the mix (Michael Symon is proudly fond of bacon and butter), I could give a nod to Daphne Oz' tastes with home-dried fruit, tofu and her notorious psyllium husk. The butterscotch chips were for me, since in my opinion bacon needs something sweet with it (as a kid brunch staples were crisp bacon and homefries with maple syrup!). While Carla is not a fan of butterscotch, I hope she'll appreciate my rendition - I know my butterscotch adoring dad and the ladies at the salon I took the batch to did!
 
A Special #SundaySupper
 
This #SundaySupper is celebrated with Katie Workman, author of the Mom 100 Cookbook. Katie believes and promotes the fact that feeding our families doesn’t have to be stressful! Katie shares the one hundred recipes that she found as a working wife and mother of two that are great-tasting and that every mom can rely on, share and feel good about.
We are honored to have Katie as our guest during our #SundaySupper live chat at 7:00 pm est. Join us and chat with Katie about being a mom, kids and Spending time Around the Family Table.

The recipes made for this event were chosen from the ones made during the first Mom 100 Event. We could make the recipes verbatim or take our own tack, like I did.

We will be giving away 3 copies of the Mom 100 Cookbooks. This is an event you don’t want to miss!!


Here are some favorites we will be sharing with you during #SundaySupper this week:


Salads:
Main Dish:
Desserts:
Wine pairing:

We will be sharing great family recipes all afternoon and want you to share yours with us! #SundaySupper starts every week at 3:00pm EST by showcasing fabulous recipes. Follow us on twitter by using hashtag #Sundaysupper or using Tweetchat. We love to feature your recipes on our #sundaysupper pinterest board and share them with all our followers.

The Mom 100 Cookbook

Connect with Katie Workman, Author of The Mom 100 Cookbook:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/katieworkman100
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/katieworkman100
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/katieworkman100
Website: www.themom100.com
Buy The Mom 100 Cookbook

Butterscotch - Bacon Apple (or "Chew Crew") Cookies
Makes 20
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 oz non-hydrogenated shortening
2 oz unsalted butter
1 tbsp golden corn syrup
150 g "dessert style" tofu (I used Sunrise Soya original flavour), pureed
1/2 tbsp vanilla
1 tsp butter flavour (optional)
2 1/3 cups white whole wheat (or Nutri-flour Blend) flour
1/3 cup psyllium husks
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
1/2 cup diced dried apple, soaked in 2 tbsp scotch and water, drained well
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/3 cup smoky bacon bits (I used imitation since I had them on hand) or crisp cooked bacon
  1. In a large bowl, beat together the sugars, shortening and butter until fluffy.
  2. Beat in the corn syrup, tofu, vanilla and butter flavouring.
  3. Stir in the flour, psyllium, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt until well combined.
  4. Fold in the apples, butterscotch chips and bacon bits.
  5. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes - 1 hour.
  6. Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheets with parchment.
  7. Form balls of dough and flatten into thick discs (they don't spread much).
  8. Bake for 15 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
  9. Cool on the sheets.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 227.8
Total Fat: 10.0 g
Cholesterol: 6.1 mg
Sodium: 62.4 mg
Total Carbs: 35.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.2 g
Protein: 3.9 g

If you really want to gild the lily here, why not make some sandwiches with Candied Cherry and Bacon Chocolate Chip Ice Cream?

Also, if you've extra dried apples, butterscotch chips and bacon, just melt some dark chocolate with the butterscotch chips and dunk the rings before sprinkling with the bacon bits!

14 comments :

  1. Isn't it fun how close the #SundaySupper group has gotten over the past few months...I've met such incredible cooks. And here you are with such a unique twist on cookies! Did you save me a couple? I would definitely love to sample one with my afternoon tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bacon, butterscotch and tofu, wow, that´s a new idea for a cookie! I bet they tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not tried cookies with bacon in them yet. Yours certainly have a nice twist to the original recipe. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks amazing! On my must try list. I am so honored that you are such a big part of our #SundaySupper Group. It truly is amazing the wonderful people that have been brought together by this movement. Thank you for being such a loyal contributor and friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is certainly a twist! Bacon makes everything better and I am a huge fan of salty/sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome combo...my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are some fabulous looking cookie and I bet the aroma was even better.

    Now I'm not a big cookie fan unless they are of the chewy variety. BUT chewy combined with the irresistible combo of bacon and apples too, count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are too sweet. What a wonderful blog post. I love how you share!

    And I ADORE these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound great-what a fabulous combination of flavors! Sweet, tart, and salty-YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, bacon and butterscotch? Irresistable! Glad to share Sunday Supper with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure how I feel about these... interesting for sure!

    Jamie @ www.mamamommymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating! As soon as we get home and I can share these will friends I will try them. Bacon in cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have made a lot of cookies in my time, but I have never made any with bacon. I will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!