Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chunky Aztec Chocolate Granola for a Mexican #SundaySupper

I have to admit I'm not really a cold cereal fan. I love oatmeal (especially with either maple syrup and cinnamon or brown sugar and cocoa!) but "regular" cereal is too plain, crunchy and, well, cold in the morning. Mid afternoon I might swipe a handful of Cheerios or Chex for a snack but you'll never see me sitting down to a milk-topped bowl of cornflakes or Rice Krispies. Not only is it cold, but I detest milk and cereal together. I don't even put milk in my oatmeal!

However, I am a self proclaimed chocoholic. Especially when it comes to bittersweet chocolate paired with something salty or spicy. When I found this granola at my local Bulk Barn, I thought I had gone to Heaven - until I saw that it contained coconut, which unfortunately causes me to swell up like a giant red balloon at it's slightest touch (which is why you will find me wearing mid-arm length gloves if I'm working with it, or other cut nuts, in the kitchen). Granola is the one food I make an exception to my "fruit belongs with only fruit" mentality, and when there was chocolate and chunky, grabbable bites of cereal involved too, I knew I had to figure out a better mix on my own. After stumbling onto Attune Foods website, where I found this recipe by (who also authors the website godairyfree.org), I knew I hit on a good base. Pretty much the entire contents of the pantry followed, culminating in a totally snackable, portable treat that was still mostly healthy!

Ironically, this slightly spicy, bittersweet mixture that I made up for this week's Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper wound up being mostly stolen by my mom! A handful stirred into plain yogurt or applesauce was her treat of choice, but I did manage to get a little bit squirreled away to make cookies with (upcoming recipe, promise!). Be sure to check out the other Mexican-inspired treats below and be sure to say hi!

You'll also find our group on Twitter throughout the day on Sunday, September 16, and we’ll be tweeting up at 7:00 pm EDT for our weekly #SundaySupper  live chat. Just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag to find us, and feel free to chime in!  We’d also love to feature your Mexican Fiesta recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers.


Sopas (Soups), Ensaladas (Salads), and Entremeses (Starters)
La Comida (the food)
Postres (desserts)
Bebidas (beverages)

Chunky Aztec Chocolate Granola
Makes about 7 cups
2 cups thick rolled oats   
1 cup spelt flakes   
1 cup crisp brown rice cereal   
1/4 cup salted, toasted sunflower seeds   
1/4 cup salted, toasted pumpkin seeds   
1/4 cup slivered almonds   
2 tbsp flax seeds   
1/4 cup diced dates   
4 diced figs   
1/4 cup dried cranberries   
1/4 cup cocoa powder
pinch salt (if you use unsalted seeds)
pinch cinnamon
pinch ancho chili powder
1/4 cup honey (or agave nectar, for vegan)
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp Demerara sugar
2 tbsp apple juice
3 tbsp salted almond butter, stirred
1/2 cup large chocolate chips
  1. Preheat the oven to 250ºF and lightly grease two 9 × 13" baking dishes.
  2. Mix together the oats, spelt flakes, cereal, seeds, dates, figs, cranberries, cocoa powder, salt, cinnamon and ancho powder in a large bowl.
  3. Place the honey, maple syrup, sugar, apple juice and almond butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat in the microwave until the brown sugar is dissolved and the almond butter is liquidy.
  4. Stir the vanilla and pour the mixture over the dry ingredients. Stir to coat well.
  5. Spread the granola out in your prepared pans.
  6. Bake until just crisp - this can be as little as an hour or up to 90 minutes (the granola will still be soft when done, but it firms up as it cools). Stir once (for chunky granola) or 2-3 times (for finer bits).
  7. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  8. Store in a jar at room temperature or freeze for longer storage. 
Amount Per Cup
Calories: 430.8
Total Fat: 16.1 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 287.0 mg
Total Carbs: 67.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 9.2 g
Protein: 10.0 g

23 comments :

  1. Homemade granola is the best and my husband would be so excited if he actually got chocolate in his breakfast cereal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I´m absolutely in love with this granola! I feel the same way about dark chocolate. Happy sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I haven't tried making granola at home, but this combo sounds amazing - I want to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang girl, this is some righteous granola! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum :) brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a self proclaimed chocoholic too haha! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both chocolate and granola! This with both is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want some of your granola in my oatmeal tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never thought to make my own granola! This is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great granola recipe. I never would have put all these flavors together before!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing and delicious I love this on my yogurt in the morning. Homemade granola is the best especially with chocolate in your breakfast cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I wouldn't be able to keep my hands out of this either, I love all of those flavors - AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dark chocolate is my favorite. Great combo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delish! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it with chocolate, love the combination!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just made granolas the other day and they all crumbled. I wanted them to stay as a bar. Any suggestions? Your granola looks pertty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds Ah-Mazing! I love the seeds and salts and chocolate! Yummy!

    Jamie @ www.mamamommymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not a big fan of cold cereal either, mainly because it doesn't fill me up. I do eat it as a snack. Maybe next time I'll make this granola as a snack! I've been loving the chocolate and chilli kick lately.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this.Have always wanted to make home made granola but have never. This seems like a great recipe to start. thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds so good! I've always wanted to make homemade granola, but never have. Really can't go wrong with chocolate!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!