Sunday, October 21, 2012

Gluten - Free Carrot Cake Doughnuts for #SundaySupper

Doughnuts around here are like ice in an igloo - everywhere. Not only do we have the mother of all doughnut and coffee shops - Tim Hortons (although now they're trying to become a "jack of all trades" like McDoodles) - but now that I have my handy dandy doughnut pan I've been popping them out whenever I get the chance. I guess you can say I've fallen in love with a slightly healthier alternative... though like all things you can warp that out too!

I also adore carrot cake - and since I was making carrot cake for my grandma's 80th birthday party I was already in the "groove". But I didn't want to just make a carrot cake batter and bung it into the doughnut pan. For one thing, the batch of cake is huge compared to a tiny 6-hole doughnut pan. Second, while I did "healthy" the recipe up a bit (it's forthcoming, promise!), it still had eggs and some gluten-containing, white flour (neither of which is bad in moderation!). So, for this week's #SundaySupper (#BakefortheCure with Chantal) I wanted to bring something that almost everyone can enjoy - a gluten free, vegan baked doughnut with all the taste of carrot cake but are just sweet enough to be a treat! While they're delicious au naturale, when I glazed them with an orange-lemon and powdered sugar glaze with the barest hint of nutmeg... divine! 

Chantal and #SundaySupper have come together to encourage everyone to bake for someone who has been affected by cancer or someone in the medical profession who makes a difference in the lives of cancer patients. Chantal is offering  will be 20% OFF of ALL Chantal Pie dishes on . BAKE4CURE must be entered at checkout to receive the pie dish discount. The coupon discount code is active October 16, 2012 through October 30, 2012. 

Here's what the recipients of the Chantal pie plate cooked up:

And here are the rest of us who baked for a cause!

Gluten - Free Carrot Cake Doughnuts
Makes 12    
1 1/2 tbsp ground flax
1/4 cup hot water
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup chickpea flour
1/4 cup arrowroot starch
1/2 tsp guar gum
generous 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp ground pecans
3 tbsp cream of brown rice cereal
2 tbsp fine cornmeal
1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tbsp vanilla
2/3 cup finely grated carrot (1 large)
1/4 cup medium-shredded unsweetened coconut
  1. Preheat oven to 425°F and coat a doughnut pan with cooking spray.    
  2. In a small dish, whisk together the flax and hot water. Set aside.    
  3. Whisk together the flours, cornstarch, guar gum, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, pecans, brown rice cereal and cornmeal. Set aside.    
  4. In a large bowl, beat together the almond milk, brown sugar, agave, oil and vanilla until well blended. 
  5. Beat in the flax slurry.    
  6. Mix in the dry ingredients until well blended.     
  7. Fold in the carrots and coconut.    
  8. Bake 8 minutes, until the doughnuts spring back when touched.    
  9. Cool 5 minutes in the pans before turning out.    
  10. Repeat with remaining batter.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 101.4
Total Fat: 3.1 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 63.8 mg
Total Carbs: 19.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.3 g
Protein: 1.6 g

14 comments :

  1. This doughnut would even fit into my diet if I left off the glaze. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love donuts so much! I can't believe you made these gluten free. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrot cake in doughnut form? Yes please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the sneak picture on Facebook, but didn't know it was Carrot Cake! Now I want to make them even MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is so interesting! I love how much you've packed into a donut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, what a healthy way to enjoy carrot cake! Beautifully done! Happy #SundaySupper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, gluten free doughnuts, pretty awesome. Especially being they are carrot cake! I am not a fan of doughnuts but I know I would be a fan of this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! I haven't had a donut in so long! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mouth dropped open while reading your description of these donuts. I love that they're vegan and gluten-free (I'm slowly beginning to incorporate more of these recipes into my repertoire). And that glaze sounds heavenly. I want to run out right now to buy a donut pan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, these actually DO sound like a healthy doughnut. Love the flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woot for GF! I love that these are baked, not fried. We're big carrot cake fans here :)

    Jamie @ www.mamamommymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look YUMMY and beautiful!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party last week! What a fantastic link up of recipes and other GF goodies! Each week, I am so amazed! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I hope that you'll join us this week! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    PS, GFF #11 will be live tonight at 7 pm Eastern time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! I've really been trying to bake more gluten free baked goods so these are perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!