Sunday, March 24, 2013

Exotic Walnut Cookies for an Easter #SundaySupper

Well it's almost time to bust out the snark for another Hallmark-ified holiday. Actually, because I grew up agnostic, Easter is one of those holidays that actually meant more to me as a commercialized venture than it's real religious basis. I fondly remember Easter Egg Hunts at school and home, once netting myself a milk chocolate Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey figure that I found behind our couch (and yes, I've talked about this, and my adoration of Creme Eggs, before).

It wasn't until after my mom remarried that we really started doing anything like a special meal for Easter Sunday at home. My grandparents would on occasion have us over for the standard-issue ham or roast beef, but being on our sugar highs meant my sister and I were really more bent on dessert. I always think of carrot cake when it comes to Easter, in particular the flavour of toasted walnuts in the one that my grandma used to serve. I hated walnuts as a kid, but have grown to appreciate the nuances they add to something fruity or earthy like banana bread or carrot cake, and it's more the crunchy texture than the flavour that puts me off when they're in brownies.

After making the already nutty Baklava Cream Fondant, I was looking for something to use it with and making sandwich cookies seemed like a perfectly logical option! I took the same basic flavours of the fondant, bumped up the nuts and added caramelized sugar that I ground into a powder as part of the sweetening power. The cookies are chewy, slightly soft and cakey, but are a perfect pairing with the fondant in the centre (or a honey ice cream!). They're a unique ending to a festive meal when you don't want something as heavy or sweet as a cake.

Walnut Cookie Sandwiches

This week's #SundaySupper is all about Easter and Passover fare. With Holy Week beginning, there's sure to be many an opportunity to share these recipes with those you love! We have Carla as our host this week, a wonderful blogger, photographer and overall person I'm honoured to call a friend. You have to check out all the Easter treats on her blog - especially if you're as big a fan of the Creme Eggs as I am! Check out the offerings below:

This Week’s #SundaySupper is hosted by one of our fabulous #SundaySupper Contributors, Carla from Chocolate Moosey. I adore Carla’s recipes and her photography is absolutely amazing!  You can check out her blog here.

Easter Sunday Supper Recipes:

Breakfast, Breads, and Buns

Appetizers and Sides

Main Dishes

Dessert

Passover Sunday Supper Recipes:

Dessert

Wine Pairing Recommendations for #SundaySupper Religious Feasts from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, March 24 to talk all about Easter and Passover recipes! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.

Exotic Walnut Cookies
Makes about 16, 8 sandwiches
3 oz shortening
1 oz butter (or dairy-free buttery sticks), softened
¼ cup caramelized sugar powder (or raw sugar)
¼ cup raw sugar
2 egg whites
½ tsp vanilla
¼ tsp rosewater
1 cup oat flour
2 tbsp all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
3 tbsp ground walnuts
  1. Cream together shortening, butter and both types of sugar.
  2. Add egg whites, vanilla and rosewater, beating until well combined. 
  3. Add flours, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and walnuts. Beat until just combined.
  4. Wrap dough and refrigerate 2- 3 hours.
  5. Preheat oven to 375F and line 2 sheets with parchment.
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely on sheets.
Amount Per Serving (1 cookie)
Calories: 119.7
Total Fat: 7.9 g
Cholesterol: 3.0 mg
Sodium: 19.5 mg
Total Carbs: 11.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.7 g
Protein: 1.5 g

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback!